Thursday 11 September 2014

10/9 Weds Chaingang- Heralds of autumn


First 2014 Chaingang For Stewart B and Paul!

This weeks Wednesday chain gang ran in conditions near identical to last weeks - perhaps a touch cooler, cloudier and, of course, that bit darker as autumn slowly tightens it's grip. 19 of us set off, again with a good easterly breeze at our backs and with a good number of riders in club kit. Very smart they looked too!

Safety is paramount so, with the advice of the club secretary to 'take it steady' along Bexhill front, we made brisk but controlled progress. The majority of pot holes (well, craters really) have been filled in recent months, but we still rely on each other to sign and shout any hazards to the riders behind. In my opinion, particular care is needed on the narrow, curved section from the Sackville Road roundabout, alongside the lawns to the prom. It's always packed with parked cars and traffic comes towards you in the middle of the road. Care is needed!

Excellent First Chaingang For Newbie Mark Wood!
Once clear of the worst of the parked traffic, the pace picked up as we hauled up South Cliff. A faster group broke away and for a short spell I was piggy in the middle, an initially slower group picking up speed more steadily behind me. Then Duncan eased past riding a 1950's tourer, relentlessly grinding out a big gear (58t by 9t I think) at a cadence of 30 rpm. I dug in to catch his wheel along Cooden Drive and Herbrand, but he steadily pulled away with silent, slow-motion ease. Awesome power!

Then just over the level crossing, that cheeky blighter Tom Norris appeared alongside me, followed by John Vidler. 'Oh no you don't' I thought and I upped my effort to stay with them. Two more riders joined our small peloton and we did a reasonable job of rotating the front. I fancied a sprint finish and sprang past the others, only to have that pesky Tom spring past me! No respect! (well done Tom - we enjoy a friendly rivalry).

Well, that burst of Cavendish-like speed knackered me. I was hunched panting over my bars, whilst the riders around me debated the finer points of group riding and road positioning. But no time to chat - the energetic Steve Curtis had us setting off again before I'd even half-way recovered. And that's pretty much the last I saw of the group until the lights, as again I 'volunteered' to sweep up the rear of the group. Hopefully, the casual observer thought me too far behind the group to be connected to them; they saw just another middle-aged bloke out for a jaunt on his over-priced bike...

Catching up on how the ride had gone in my absence, proud riders were pleased to report that the usual and not-so-usual suspects had formed a strong group that did a great job of riding 'through and off'. This is what the chain gang is about, working together to make good progress. There is no doubt that it's very satisfying when it works well but, just as for pro-riders, it requires self and group discipline.

Meanwhile, my slower pace had given me time to appreciate the Harvest Moon, shining a dusky orange path across the low-tide at Cooden Beach. I tried to make myself small and peddled fast to beat through the east wind - my helpful friend on the way out, but a cruel bully on the return leg, pulling back on my shirt and pelting me with moths. One bounced off my teeth. Better than swallowing it.

A small red light twinkled in the distance. Perhaps I could catch that rider! Well, the spirit was willing but the flesh weak - it took the entire length of Cooden Drive to pull alongside Chris. Meanwhile, I saw other riders making their way back to Eastbourne. Was I really that slow tonight? But a good-sized group remained, chatting animatedly about the highs and lows of the ride.

The mythical Stuart Hodd and I agreed that we love the Wednesday chain gang - the buzz from riding purposefully in a group, the camaraderie from making a big shared effort, and the success of making through and off work well. But we like less getting cold and wet!

For the time being, we are enjoying great riding conditions (even if I would prefer less wind). If it's blowing from the east next week, I'll make sure I save some energy for the ride back!

Special mention for Malcolm Daly - a speedy recovery - and for any club members competing anywhere this weekend.

Cheers, Neil

Video below kindly supplied by Joe K

No comments:

Post a Comment