Monday 29 September 2014

CLIMBING, COFFEE & CAKE



Saturday saw the first, and hopefully not the last, running of the 'Climbing, Coffee & Cake' ride in aid of Macmillan cancer support.
We met up as a usual bacon butty run on Saturday, and I arrived to be greeted to a brilliant turnout of around 23 riders including many new faces. 

To be honest I think they were lured by the promise of the cake and not the hills.
We set off on the BBR route over galley hill and along Bexhill seafront, it was a great sight to see so many out in club kit forming a chain along the front.
As we made our way up to Little Common, we had our first puncture of the day, which held us up a bit longer than expected.
After the flat start the climbing started as we made our way up to Hooe, Kiln Lane and then along Horsewalk and up The Wall to the Lamb pub.
After much puffing and panting I pushed everyone quickly on to try and make up time. 

We made our way up Tilley lane, up and down Henmans Hill to the bottom of Agony hill.
Soon after the first little ramp someone asked 'Why's it called Agony hill? that seemed ok'.
'You'll find out in 2 miles' I replied.
We made the never ending drag up the top to Woods Corner where we regrouped, only to find out we'd lost JV, Ivan and Andy. I called John and it seemed Andy was struggling and they'd cut off early towards Penhurst.
So we pressed on down to Penhurst lane, just as we were making nice progress along the lanes, BANG, an impact puncture, which again held us up further.
After more repairs, we then negotiated the increasingly dicey lanes around Penhurst and then the long slog up Watertower hill.
I made my way to the top and decided to take some photos of everyone as they got to the top.
I'm glad I opted for photos and not videos, because some of the swearing was top draw. 



Unfortunately, or fortunately, depends on how you were feeling at the time, I decided to cut the ride short dropping further climbing at Crowhurst, as we'd been delayed quiet a bit and there was cake to be eaten.
So we took the quick route straight into Battle.
Everyone arrived back at my house to be greeted by a very welcome spread of assorted cakes and drinks.
My neighbour who runs the tea shop was rubbing his hands when he saw 20 odd cyclists arrive....sorry Mr Burton! tee hee. 


In between cakes we also decided take an opportunity to take a photo of the club in all their s

plendour.
 
I'd like to thank everyone who came along for the ride, it's always nice to meet new riders and makes being in a club really worthwhile.
And thank you to everyone who donated very generously to a brilliant cause.
After a count up of the donation box and several people who gave me money who couldn't make the ride, the club raised a fantastic £240.


Which for a mornings get together riding and a few hours baking in the kitchen is pretty bloody good.
I say a few hours baking, I saw all the effort my other half Louise, mum and dad Terry and Averil and sister Claire put into it, so a big thank you to them too. Xx

( for those who asked about the dynamite chocolate fridge cake, I have the recipe and can send it to you. although I don't recommend it if you're in training for something)
Lee S

No comments:

Post a Comment