Friday 19 September 2014

17/9 Chaingang- Another warm Wednesday Evening

Newbie Peter baker Sandwiched Between two Veterans 
I couldn't help feeling that someone at Southern Rail control was having a laugh at our expense last night as the level-crossing barriers dropped on both the outward and return legs of the chain gang, disrupting the flow of the ride but also giving the slower riders a chance to catch up, maybe hang on to someone's back wheel for a while.The warm and dry weather continues, although it was overcast and the streetlights were flickering into life as 26 riders set off (a great turnout despite the absence of such stalwarts as Simon Grogan and Tom Norris). Again, the wind was helpful. A north-easterly wind was blowing strongly, if not as directly, at our backs as we made measured progress through the snarly section to the Sackville Road roundabout. The South Cliff climb sorts the quicker riders from the less so and the ride split into two loose groups.  Legs were stretched and backs bent as the pace picked up along Cooden Drive and Herbrand Walk. We then had the first of two stops at the level-crossing, giving us the chance to regroup.I think it caught all the front riders and the group was soon swelled to 15 or more as we slower, steadier folk rolled up. And then we were all off again, in a second start to the chain gang. Inevitably, we were keen to get back up to speed  to hold on to the quicker group, so the scene became a bit chaotic - someone missed their pedal and I swung right to avoid clattering them, forcing someone else wide.Order was soon restored, but I recall that groups are instructed to always back off and space out approaching the bridges before the Star Inn. This prevents “compression bunching” (that’s not a problem with the pad in your riding shorts...). We could have done better and some made the mistake of trying to move up the group when they should not – next week’s pre-ride briefing will make this very clear!I crossed the marsh with another rider of similar strength and we rotated the lead to the Pevensey roundabout, where a good half of the group had already arrived. I've come in alone in the last two chain gangs, so I made sure I positioned myself nearer the front for the return leg. If I don't make the group from the start I'm unlikely to bridge the gap. Maybe I could stay in contact as far as Spooky Hill, as I was managing to do at the end of last year, as long as I wasn't stranded from the outset.A car came into view and I shouted to others to keep in. The excellent and youthful Stuart Hodd thought I was shouting for the off and bellowed back 'not yet, not ready'. I shouted back 'no, no, we're not going', but then Steve shouted 'right, let's go'! 'No Steve, we're not ready!' Steve stopped but others started anyway. 'Hang on!' But it was too late, the
Guest Appearance From Rover's Graham 
group headed out. It reminded me of that joke about two deaf old ladies who mishear everything the other says - 'it's windy'; 'no, it's Thursday', and so on...I stuck to my strategy and made the front from the start, soon to be joined by a group of ten or so (frankly) better riders. I dug in and worked hard, fully expecting to be left on Spooky Hill, but it didn't happen. I stayed with the group as it made rather muddled but good speed back across the marshes. Surely some mistake... Was I dreaming or was I actually staying in touch at the front?And then our friend the level-crossing intervened again to halt the group, but the restart was steadier than on the way out and we made a better stab of riding 'through and off' along Herbrand Walk. We regrouped after the turn and hill at Cooden and enthusiastically mashed our pedals in pursuit of a smaller, quicker group that had opened up a gap on the short rise. I was going as fast as I could and wanting to go faster on the flat to bridge the gap to the front. I'm not sure if that's what others wanted, but we did not make contact before everyone started to back off approaching Egerton Park and coast to the meeting place at the lights.I suspect we were riding with a mixture of purposes. As a result, we were more or less satisfied with the ride. I was delighted to finish with 'the fast boys', especially after two weeks as the 'lanterne rouge', but I'd not really done right by the group. Did we communicate effectively? Hmm. Did my ego get the better of me? Probably.There is no sense in being too picky as overall it was a great ride in great company. I enjoyed a chatty jaunt back to Norman's Bay with Stuart (from Battle) and Peter Buss, this time without level-crossing interruptions, and then home again for food and Strava uploads.Ah, Strava, perhaps that's my problem. "Must-always-ride-faster, must-collect-trophies". I think Strava is great as it has helped me push myself (and helped me find other riders and the club), but perhaps sometimes it's better to switch it off. I also wonder if it has made me a more selfish rider. Hands up if you agree?

Neil S
Very rare Appearance From Pete Byrne Pus Brother In law Steve W

No comments:

Post a Comment