Thursday 2 April 2015

1/4 Wednesday Night Chain Gang-"Fair Stood the Wind for Bexhill"

It seems Strange To Arrive With Some Sunlight left?

We're on the return leg, there's a magnificent tail wind and Alex and I are  'flying'.

"Dieu et mon droit!": I urged Alex.
"Eh?": he replied
"Go,go go! - there's no sign of them!"

I'm like Richard the Third leading his troops  into battle at Bosworth.  It was one thing to be riding with the Ultras, but I never expected - no, seriously I didn't - to be leading 'the charge', along side young Alex.  I pointed the way forward with my Kings Sword (mini-pump) and gripped the bars for dear life.
Newbie Rider Carl Acquits Himself Well!

"Oh, look!", I said.
"What, are they gaining on us now?", asked Alex
"No, I've just seen the way the moonlight is dancing over the tops of the waves: 'The sea, the sea, in the darkness she calls to me..."
"Oh, do shut up and stay focused", Alex snapped.

He reached into his jersey pocket and offered me a small plastic bag.

"Here, take one of these; Uncle Michele (Ferrari) sends me them from Milan, he says I need to 'take care' of myself if I'm serious about cycling".

I had noticed that Alex had been using a strange looking gel lately and I was very suspicious.  I scrutinised the packet, and even in the moonlight I could make out the letters 'EPO'.

"Oh, don't worry about that Neil, Uncle says it stands for egg-protein origin.", he gulped it down.
I passed mine back to him and said: "I'm strictly du pain et du l'eau, if you get my drift?"

I glanced over my shoulder to see the unquantifiably magnificent Stuart and the equally awesomely stupendous Barney gaining on us.  I also spotted that 'scruff bag' Nigel. I really feel Nigel should 'up his game' if he wants to fulfil his dream of cycling around the solar system next season - cycling in Aldi gear is one thing, but apparently he's started raiding clothes banks now - wonder who put him up to that?

"Oh, hang on a mo, who's that? - I thought so!, it's Mal D and Ivan. They 'ran the red' at the De La Warre lights", I said.

"Yes, I know, do you you think we should report them to Col C 'J' Parker?", he replied.

"I certainly think we should, I hope he 'throws the book at them this time!", I said indignantly.

We are now in sight of the lights at Bexhill.  Alex has ramped up his speed since taking his supplement and I'm struggling to hang on.  Eventually we arrive at our destination and I'm elated.  I hop off Alex's crossbar and give him a big man-hug.

"Thanks, son, I couldn't have done it without you,  There's no sign of the others yet, are you going to hang around for them?", I asked.
"No, I've got school in the morning - double french - yuk!"

I 'clip clop' my way home with an over-whelming sense of achievement.  It was really nice of Peter B to lend me his commute bike last week, but I simply couldn't have imposed on him again.  He really is a nice chap.  I can't help but notice the slender ankles; a sure sign of breeding, no stranger to the playing fields of Eton, I bet.  I smile wryly to myself and consider what I have just achieved: a few weeks ago I couldn't even keep up with the Ultras, and now I've just given them a good thrashing!. I can do this on my own next time, I know I can, really,  I can!.

Neil Smith (yes, it really is me, honest!)

No comments:

Post a Comment