Tuesday 15 September 2015

15/9 Tuesday Tango!

After a day of shockingly wet and windy weather, and more on the way in the morning, we were really lucky to have a dry weather window for our Tuesday training.

Almost Every week most of the regulars are there (myself, keri, Gareth , Paul C) and then we seem to get one or two guests riders. This week our guest rider was 'Patrick' . Patrick was dressed in trendy black while myself, keri and Gareth are really into our day-glo orange jerseys. It may not be fashionable but as long is there is some daylight to fluoresce it really does show up incredibly well.

Tuesday Tubby Tango Training!
To make up for his black jersey, Patrick  was made visible with his impressive exposure light system This has a super powered light on the front which also powers a very bright solid red light on the rear. Most impressive of all is that on the back of the front light it displays how much time is left, showing that even at this setting there was an amazing 11 hours left!

Although the wind was steadily dropping in strength, we still had a powerful tail wind pushing us along towards Rye.We were cruising at around 30mph with almost no effort

Patrick is one of the fitter riders in the club, significantly fitter than us 'Tuesday Tubbies' but was happy just to be out for an easy evening ride, although he did get a chance to stretch his legs on the Broad-oak drag where only Gareth (who gets fitter every week) could keep pace with him.

I have used all the 'Tuesday Training' sessions to give me a chance to get used to my giant Defy 3 ,rather than my faithful CAAD8. At first the longer head tube annoyed me but as the season has gone on I am really enjoying riding the Defy and can feel the benefit of the longer head tube. It may not be quite as aerodynamic but I don't get the delayed stiffness in the upper back that the CAAD gives me . The Defy is certainly a great bike for the older gentleman rider!

By the time we reached broad Oak the wind had completely
died down and it was great fun descending down towards Wesfield.

Reaching the Doleham cut through ,Gareth said he could hear hissing from my rear wheel. Damn, another rear puncture! Fixing it in the light was easy enough and I soon had the new inner tube in place. Myself and Pete baker have become rather 'addicted' to using CO2 cyclinders. I just about stopped myself from wasting yet another one, with only a couple of miles to go the air pressure reached with my (actually very good) Lezyne pump was more than adequate for the taxing climb up Stonestile lane.

Steve C

No comments:

Post a Comment