Friday 11 September 2015

15/9 Tuesday Training - Keri Makes It On Time!

Much to my surprise  keri actually made it to the meeting point with time to spare on this weeks ride.
Keri on time!!!

Joining us and looking slim after completing the epic 1200km PBP (Paris Brest Paris) ride a couple of weeks back was Steve B. On the way through the nature reserve there was time for Steve to regale us with stories about the pleasure and pain of completing the PBP. Steve and John S were the only HSLCC members to attempt the ride. Due to work commitments John was not as well prepared as Steve but ironically it was Steve's body that broke down the most with problems to his IT band ligament and finger tendons (John has promised a full report soon), he still loved it though and both John and Steve are already planning an even more extreme challenge , the 3600 km transcontinental!

Reaching the Broad Oak drag, myself, Nigel F, Steve B and Gareth initially worked together as a peloton. With Nigel F back riding after a long break I assumed the pace would be OK but Nigel and Gareth were inspired by the superfit Steve B and despite feeling strong and riding all the way up in my outer chainring, I was eventually spat out the back (both Gareth and Nigel went on to get top three three personal strava achievements for the drag)

Having regrouped at Broad Oak were were all together for the final third of the ride but somehow I found myself ahead of the others on arriving  Stonestile . Feeling a bit lazy I was honking my way up the initial slope when I heard heavy breathing from Gareth who was clearly going to drop me. Settling into more efficient seated riding and grinding my way up mtb style I not only held him off but manage to put some distance between us.Reaching the final slope I assumed I was too far ahead for Gareth to catch me and reverted back to standing on the pedals. However, I had underestimated Gareth's determination and with a huge acceleration he came shooting past me to win the Stonestile climb.Looks like Gareth has reclaimed his fitness after his holiday in Canada
and his injured ribs!




No comments:

Post a Comment