Tuesday 22 September 2015

Part Deux - Pre BBR and BBR 'And the winner is.......'

09:05 - Outside the 'bogs', top of  Beachy Head.

Sunshine On Beachy head!
"Would you like a drink Tom?", I asked in a very concerned manner.

Tom has developed a habit of coming for long rides without any water; I'm sure he has his reasons.

"Oh, yes please", he replied with an air of desperation.

"Well, if you go in there the urinal flushes every two minutes and you could cup your hands and get a decent slurp"

I, of course, thought this was quite witty, but I'm not sure he thought so.

  I had met up with Adam at Normans Bay border crossing and informed him that it would only be the two of us, and suggested we could have a bit of a 'stroll and a natter'.  He seemed keen and we set off quite happily; exchanging pleasantries and having a 'catch up'.  I haven't seen Adam for ages and he explained that he had had a change of routine and had been away for a lot of mini breaks.  Half way up Sluice Lane we saw Tom approaching, and as pleased as I was to see him I knew the pace would be 'upped' as he doesn't like to linger.

Boasson Hagen's Lips Were Once Around This Bidon!
The three of us headed for 'Beachy' at a fair old pace.  I had decided I would save some energy for the BBR and by the time we reached the seafront a bit of distance had crept in between them and me, and although I would have been happy to go at my own pace and meet them at the top they very gallantly waited for me at the pier.  By the time we got to the top we were very spread out and I was last to arrive.  I took a couple of snaps for the blog and couldn't help but notice Tom's arm warmers and gloves which gave an overall effect of ladies velvet evening wear - it only required a diamond ring over his gloved finger for the full effect; the little glimpse of flesh between the bottom of his sleeve and the top of the arm warmer added to the allure. Adam requested that I also rake a snap of his bidon - discarded by Edvard Boasson Hagen the winner of this year's T of B (see pictures.)  I suggested he should 'flog it' on Ebay but Adam said he would prefer to keep it as a momento.
Pete Now Works As A Model For Tenn!

We headed off back to De Paulos at a cracking pace - taking turns on the front until towards the end of Cooden Drive when Adam 'fell off' the pace.  Arriving at 'The number one restaurant in Rother' I congratulated Giuseppe on their prestigious new award whilst assuring him that my vote went to 'The Picnic Basket' around the corner.

Peter Baker was already there and took no time in mocking my Tenn ensemble; which I am trialing on behalf of the club to see whether the quality is up to the standard of 'Force GB' before we consider giving them any orders.  I put it down to jealousy because he could obviously see how majestic I looked wearing it.

We were shortly joined by Neil, Derek, Ian, Fabian, Andy, Steve C, Steve F and total newbie Ed. Feeling much refreshed we set off on the standard BBR route.  The ride to Chilley Farm was without incident , with us mostly staying together and regrouping when required.  Peter B turned back just short of Horsewalk claiming he didn't have time and needed to get back to Bexhill , personally I don't think 10 mins would have made any difference and he could have turned back at The Lamb, after Horsewalk , still some people in life will always take the easier option (sorry Pete but you should have just said how great I looked in the new Tenn kit.)

The BBR Gets A Big Thumbs Up From Ed!
I would like to give a 'big up' to Derek who hasn't been on the scene for a while due to, as he puts it: 'old people's problems" - I assume he was referring to his sciatica and not incontinence - in any case he gave a good account of himself and kept up with the pace for most of the ride.

I settled down with my Americano and egg and bacon bap and got more acquainted with Ed - he seems like a nice chap and would fit in well with the club.  He claims to be a doctor at The Conquest, which he may well be, but equally there's a guy works down the chip swears he's Elvis.


  Next week I may well quiz him on all the bones in the hands and feet; that should sort things out.  Neil, as usual, drawled all over my bap while refusing to buy one for himself.

"How's the bap"?

"Why don't you just go and buy one, you a******e?", I enquired

"Oh, shut up, you t****r!", he replied

We have recently started this very juvenile, but nonetheless enjoyable game of hurling insults at each other (see my Strava entry for Saturday which shows a further example of this.)  I would like to add that Neil started it.

Steve C assembled us for a group photo which seems to be 'de riqueur' for most BBRs.  I think it adds to the sense of camaraderie and all BBRers would agree that there is a great sense of fun and lack of stress in these rides, but that is not to say they aren't sometimes quite pacey - depending on who's taking part - here's to the next one!

Smile For The camera Comrades!

Peter Buss

No comments:

Post a Comment