Friday 25 September 2015

Wednesday Chain Gang sans Monsieur Buss


First Chain For Three years For Mike!
This week's chain gang saw a great turnout - some 30 riders in all, all keen to make the most of the dog-days of summer. Last week was wetter; this week was dry but with a strong southwest wind, so it seems we like the wet rather less than the wind. Now, before I go on, I must pay homage to one Stuart Hodd who reminded me at the start of the TT season that he had not missed a single chain gang last season and surely deserved a mention. Rain or shine, ill or well, ice or wind (or all six!), Stuart made every session. Consider yourself duly recognised as a 'chain gang supremo' - ultra fast and ultra dedicated. We salute you Stuart!

A large group of faster 'ultra' riders sped off a little before 7:30 in order to miss the trains at Herbrand Walk level crossing, with the fast 'supers' following on shortly after. The latter group soon split into two, but remained as a large group, gradually thinning out as faster riders sped on, hard behind the ultras. I loitered in the tail, really not keen to beat myself up into the wind and with little appetite to work hard or compete, enthusiasm most definitely lacking! I'm glad to say that everyone else seemed far keener than me, with strong riding evident throughout the groups that rode last night. Last week's ride also saw sustained riding at a good pace from all present, as (most of us) come into the autumn with bags of summer fitness.

First HSLCC Chain Ever For Ed
The return leg saw this lazy rider make more of an effort, because there was some wind behind me - simple as that. Off I went with the 'ultras', pelting along, rotating in behind Michael Maxwell as he quickly upped the pace with each turn at the front. We hit the base of Sluice Lane incline at around 45kph, the speed exhilarating and slightly alarming as we rode close around tight bends on dark roads. But here ended my ride with the elite of H&StLCC - as so often happens, I was left to slog up the west side of Spooky Hill alone. Even so, I managed a PR, averaging 44kph / 27.5mph up and down the steepest part of the hill. Fast as that was, it was not fast enough to stay in touch!

I rode on alone until Herbrand Walk, when Ivan, another chap and Ruth sped by me, coming from nowhere. Well not literally, but let's just say I was surprised. Again with some help from the wind, I made an effort and managed to tag onto Ruth by the Cooden Hotel and up the sharp rise there, then along Cooden Drive and all the way to the lights. That felt more like it and perhaps next week I will feel a bit more enthusiastic.

There followed a pleasant ride back with Stewart and Tom, with me riding again to Pevensey roundabout for the hell of it, bumping into Ruth and that cheeky Neil Shier, pausing to rebalance our sugar levels. What egged me on was the thought of another wind-assisted blast to Bexhill, not as fast as riding in a group, but fast enough to feel like a cycling demi-god, just for a short while...  See you next week.

New bike report
"You want me to do what?" I asked Stewart.  He had asked whether I, on my way back from London, could collect his new bike from Eastbourne and bring it to Cooden, on the train.  It's not that I minded, it's just that it seemed an odd request.  Things got stranger...

"Ok, you've upgraded the Grifter to a handmade, bespoke, one-off race machine?"  Yes, came the answer, and further more he was busy at work and it would be a great help, and I owe him one, and so on.  What a liberty.

Well, having hunted down the dusty workshop of Albus Retch Sports Equipment, I was rather shocked with what I saw - a creation that defied all the norms of modern racing 'weapon', eschewing carbon for steel and glossy paint for, er, I'm not sure what. This was indeed a unique creation with some eccentric additions. Pictures speak louder than words, so feast your eyes on this!


The maker of this beast gave me a lecture on the merits of upward-angled chrome-sprung racing saddles (yes, see next picture) and on the safety value of tambourines and umbrellas. I was confused - this made some sense as a touring machine, but as a racing tool? I was far from convinced. But I guess Stewart knows what he is doing. I for one will not miss the screeching of his old bike's brakes - hard rubber on wet chrome rims certainly clears your ears. I look forward to seeing Stewart taking a turn at the front on this 'special' bike. Allez Stewart, plus vite!

"Congratulations on the new steed Stewart, it's a beaut!" I lied, walking away, sniggering. Next week, I'll review Peter Buss's new skin suit. Did you know he's a model for cycling clothing?

Neil S

No comments:

Post a Comment